Load Google Ads in your browser by going to ads.google.com. Login using your username and password. Select the account for which you will be creating the pixel (only if you have access to multiple accounts).
At the top of the page, select "Tools" and "Conversions" from the drop-down menu.
Push the red button labeled "+Conversion"
Select the correct source of conversions from the four options:
- Website - Track purchases, form submissions, other website actions (Most Common)
- App - Track app downloads or in app actions
- Phone Calls - Track calls using a Google forwarding number
- Import - Track using info from another system
After selecting Website, you will need to complete a form to create your website conversion action.
- Name: Enter a descriptive name for the pixel
- Category: Choose the generic category best associated with the conversion. Options include: Purchase / Sale, Sign-up, Lead, View of key page, and Other.
- Value: Select the value each conversion is worth. If each purchase is worth a different conversion value (e.g. you are an ecommerce business where purchase totals can be different based on what the visitor purchases), you'll want to select Use different values for each conversion. If selecting Use the same value for each conversion it will ask that you assign a static value for each conversion. This is not recommended unless you don't have a conversion value.
- Count: Select the counting method appropriate to your application. If you want someone to be able to register with 3 different addresses, but only to count as one conversion, select One (most common).
- Conversion Window: Select the conversion window appropriate for your client - 28 days is most common.
- Include In Conversions: Click Yes to have this conversion data reported by Google Ads.
- Attribution Model: Select the appropriate rule for attribution. In most cases LastClick is the appropriate choice.
Click CREATE AND CONTINUE.
Copy the code presented in the dialog box and add it to your site. For the tracking to work, you'll need to make sure you include both the code snippet and the appropriate 'onClick' tags. This tells Google Ads to record a conversion only when a customer clicks on a specific button, link, or image. If you don't include an 'onClick' tag in your HTML, no conversions will be registered.