Facebook Mobile – Step Up Your Game With Our Cheat Sheet
Raise your hand if you have a Facebook account… okay, now raise your hand if most of the time, you’re checking it from your mobile device. Well, regardless if your hands are up or down (really hope you participated, though) – the fact of the matter is the majority of Facebook traffic comes through mobile devices.
Therefore, it should come as no surprise that when building your ads, it's absolutely vital to think about mobile first – both in your strategy and creative. From content flow to formatting – check out the New Engen cheat sheet of our Facebook Best Practices for mobile.
Key features that set mobile apart from desktop
- Anywhere, anytime access
- Users scan ads while checking their feeds
- Focus on imagery and storytelling
- One active screen (no editorial "fold")
- Action is tap or swipe vs. click
Mobile Best Practices
- Keep it simple: allow free scrolling or swiping of content
- Utilize white space! Aids easy scanning and visual digestion
- Be mindful of audio and auto-play features
Readable & Visible
- Text should be larger than 60px and no more than 20% of image
- Messaging is key
- Consider accessibility contrast requirements
- Large and immersive imagery, adjust crops, zoom in on details
One-Thumb “Comfort Zone”
- Stay mindful of small screens
- Top and bottom of phone are least effective target spaces
- CTAs should be tall, wide and centered within the thumb zone
- Tap space should be at least 44px
Copy Messaging Best Practices
- Text: 90 characters
- Headline: 25 characters
- Description: 30 characters – often includes a CTA
Text Overlay Format
- Short, catchy headline
- Clear and concise CTA: Shop Now, Learn More, Sign Up, etc.
- Less than 10 words or 20 characters per line
Best Performing Ad Formats
In our experience, we have 4:5 video ads with collections and 16:9 billboard ads to work best on mobile.