Photography can make or break an ad. Follow the below tips in order to ensure you photos are giving your ads the best chance for success.
1. More is more.
Take more shots than you think you will need. All paid social churns through creative quickly. Multiple versions make it easier to frequently refresh your creative. Try multiple angles, and keep the outtakes - you never know what you might need.
2. Focus on your product.
Make sure the product is the star! With only seconds to catch a potential customer’s attention, start strong. We should know at a glance what you’re selling.
3. Keep it simple.
Clean, simple backgrounds tend to perform better in social feeds.
4. Give your shots some space.
Shoot with negative space above and below to allow for variety of crops and multiple angles to support different ad sizes and creative approaches.
5. Logos and CTAs.
These are probably going in your ad. Is there space for logo and ad text? Keep composition in mind.
6. Practical magic.
- Keep your set and products clean of dust, crumbs, fingerprints, and cat hair.
- Always take an empty shot of the set to provide editing flexibility.
- A tripod and remote trigger help avoid shaking, blur, and camera movement.
- Video? Stop motion? Models should walk fully into and out of the frame.
7. Put your creative in motion.
Simple, short, easy-to-execute motion provides a huge value in social placements. There are many forms of simple motion video to try: stop-motion, cinemagraphs, and boomerangs.